Since 2010 all bookkeepers providing a Gold Coast BAS Service are required to register as a BAS Agent.
The requirements of a BAS Agent are:
- Certificate iv in Financial Services – Bookkeeping or Accounting
- Over 1000 hours relevant experience
- Professional Indemnity insurance
- Ongoing Professional Development
What does that mean for you?
In the past, a bookkeeper was able to complete a MYOB or Quicken course and start charging for their services. Unfortunately, due to their lack of experience, they often left a mess. The client could do nothing about it except find someone else who, hopefully, would be able to clean up the mess. It is a costly exercise both financially and emotionally.
As a BAS Agent there is a professional Code of Conduct in relation to:
- Honesty and integrity
- Independence (acting lawfully)
Breaching the Code of Conduct can result in termination of the registration and Civil Penalties involving fines up to $137,500. At last there is something that can be done if you are left in a mess.
As we transition as a Registered Gold Coast BAS Agent, we comply with the legislation by working under the direction of a Registered Tax Agent. We believe that great bookkeeping is not just about getting the compliance right … it’s about empowering you around your finances!
Other Non BAS Agent services we provide include;
- Start-up Business Software Set-up
- Catch-up Bookkeeping – for those who have fallen behind
- Onsite Bookkeeping Gold Coast
- Payroll Processing